Main e-mail newsletters
Receive alerts and special reports. Important news and stories were delivered on the mornings on weekdays.
Writer Phil Hellesel
Two men arrested in connection with a possible assault on the Impressions star Yussi Smollett were released without charges of prosecution in connection with the new evidence of interrogation on Friday, the Chicago police said.
"Because of new evidence as a result of today's interrogations, individuals questioned by the police in the" Empire "case were released without charge, and detectives have additional investigative work, ̵
Smollett filed a report from Chicago The police said on January 29 that two masked men were throwing racist and homophobic insults before beating him. The actor also said his attackers poured out what he considered bleaching and laid a loop around his neck.
The Department reportedly investigating the alleged attack on Smolletta, who is black and gay,
Tom Ahern, a police spokesman, said earlier that two men the police questioned the alleged assault, were arrested and questioned, but no allegations were made.
as brothers are believed to be people on a still image, issued earlier by the police. The image was taken from video surveillance at night attack.
Men were picked up by officers at O'Hare International Airport in Chicago after they returned to the city from their native Nigeria.
At least one of the men worked on the "Empire," the Smollett star show, said Guglellma.
Guglellma said in tweet
Thursday that the brothers were in the "anxiety zone". Police had previously made photos taken from surveillance cameras of two "potential people of interest" in the case.
Later on Thursday, Guglellmie sent a tweet in response to local reports quoting unnamed sources who say that the police are considering whether Smollett and two men made the attack.
Guglelmi stated that the reports were unconfirmed and that the Supt police. Eddie Johnson was in touch with one Chicago Information Officer to report that "their alleged NDP sources are uninformed and inaccurate."
Some social media users began to question Smollett's claim after the police said they could not find the frames allegedly attacking, having traveled the number of records from many surveillance cameras in the area.
Police also said that Smollett refused to transmit phone records and phone records to investigate. The actor told the police that he was on the phone with his head during the attack. Police, however, said that Smollett collaborated with the investigation, and later gave the investigator a pdf file with partial recordings by phone. Is this an attack happened?
"It's as you know, at first it was a case like:" Listen, if I tell the truth, that's all because it's true, "Smollett said." Then it became like, "Oh, how can you It's true. "
" He feels if I said that it is a Muslim or Mexican or someone black, I feel that doubts would support me a lot more, and it says a lot about what we are now in our country, "he said.