The victims were said to have consumed unregulated moonshine, known locally as "country-made liquor."
"We have arrested two people, but we are still investigating their role in the incident," said Partha Pratim Saikia, a senior official with the police in the Golaghat district in the northeastern state of Assam.
The first cases, reported Thursday evening, indicated most victims were tea-garden workers, said Manoj Baruah, a official in Jorhat, another district where cases were reported.
People are still arriving at the Jorhat hospital for treatment, with additional medical staff called to help handle patients, Baruah told CNN.  "Assam Health Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma said," Assistant Health Minister Hamanta Biswa Sarma said, "Reuters reported.
Illicit booze is cheaper but can kill
The incident is The latest in India's long battle to control fake or illegal alcohol, which is affordable and readily available to many impoverished people.
Country-based liquor often contains toxic methanol, which can make people feel inebriated. However, even a very small amount can be toxic. Methanol poisoning can cause confusion, dizziness, drowsiness, headaches and the inability to coordinate muscle movements.