Main e-mail newsletters
Receive alerts and special reports. Important news and stories were delivered on the mornings on weekdays.
Posted by Alex Johnson
About 200 US troops will remain in Syria after the withdrawal of most US armed forces from the country, the White House said on Thursday.
President Donald Trump said in December that "we won against ISIS" and that he would pull out all 2,000 or US troops from the country, an announcement that surprised US allies and senior military officials and launched an American campaign against ISIS
A spokeswoman for the White House, Sarah Sanders, said on Thursday that "a small peacekeeping group of about 200 people will remain in Syria for some time," confirming last month's NBC report that some US forces will not be part of the exit.
NBC News cited US officials when they said that the United States had not yet figured out what level of support it would continue to provide in the fight against ISIS and that it would probably preserve some air presence in North Syria.
The announcement of the White House came the day after US and foreign officials said the European allies of the United States rejected the request of the Trump administration to send troops to abandon the United States Opinion
Sen. Lindsey Graham, RS.C., a member of the Armed Forces Committee, welcomed the announcement of the White House on Thursday.
"This will ensure that ISIS does not return and Iran does not fill the vacuum that would have left us if we were completely out," said Graham. "It also ensures that Turkey and SDF elements that have helped us defeat ISIS will not go away. in conflict. "
" SDF "is a reduction for the Syrian Democratic Forces supported by the US Alliance of Police who are struggling to oust ISIS from the country.]" With this decision, President Trump decided to adhere to sound military advice, "said Graham. "This decision guarantees that we will not repeat Iraq's mistakes in Syria. For a small fraction of the forces we have in Syria, we can achieve our national security goals. "