WASHINGTON – The White House announced Tuesday that the United States will take steps to end legal protection for hundreds of thousands of immigrants brought into the country as children, often referred to as “dreamers,” as it conducts a legal review after the Supreme Court the court rejected President Donald Trump’s plan to suspend the Deferred Child Program, better known as DACA.
A senior administration official said that despite the Supreme Court’s decision, the White House still considered the DACA program illegal and that the court ruling left the administration free to seek other ways to end the program. The Trump administration “would limit the scope”; of the DACA, while the administration checks its legitimacy, the official said.
While the program is being reviewed, the Trump administration has announced that it will reject initial requests and fees for new applications, review all renewal applications on a case-by-case basis, but limit submission to a year rather than a two-year renewal, and reject all early dismissal applications. absence of “extraordinary circumstances”.
Trump tried to end the DACA in September 2017, succeeding in his campaign promise to end the federal program.
In June, the Supreme Court ruled that the administration could not implement its plan to close the DACA program because the government did not provide a proper justification for doing so. Chief Justice John Roberts wrote in his opinion that the termination of the Trump administration of DACA was unconstitutional, and the administration would need to give a more detailed justification for its termination.
Trump was outraged by the court’s decision, tweeting that the decision was “politically accused,” saying new court decisions were needed. He promised to try to end DACA again.
The White House said Tuesday that it faces some challenges in court.
The Trump administration has already taken steps to slow down the DACA program. Last week, the government said at a hearing in the U.S. District Court in Maryland that it had not “provided or rejected” DACA statements, but rather that they had put the program on hold.
The Maryland Federal Court ordered the Trump administration to restore the DACA to its original form before Trump tried to end it in a 2017 memorandum, essentially ordering the Department of Homeland Security to accept new DACA statements.
The Trump administration is surrounding a federal court order, issuing a new report that replaces all previous DACA reports, an administration official said Tuesday. The White House expects to face major lawsuits before the latest program changes.
Acting Home Secretary Chad Wolfe is expected to release a new report later Tuesday, detailing the details.
The DACA program was established in 2012 by then-President Barack Obama as a precautionary measure to prevent the deportation of people who were brought to the United States as children and did not have citizenship or legal residence status. The protection lasts for two years at a time and can be renewed. DACA does not provide a path to citizenship.
Figures show that more than 90 percent of DACA participants have a job. Almost half go to school. Many do not speak the language and do not know the culture of their country.