NASA called the destruction of India last week as a "terrible, terrible thing" and stated that the space bombs created by the explosion should now be considered a threat to the International Space Station, and astronauts aboard.
India deliberately destroyed one of its own satellites by a missile last week, a step that Prime Minister Narendra Modi greeted as the one who created India as "space power."
But NASA's administrator Jim Bridgestin told employees on Monday that this "unacceptable" threat to astronauts aboard the ISS.
Read more: Indian satellite rocket test just brought humanity closer to the scenario of a nightmarish cosmic sky
He said that the satellite was destroyed in parts, and many of these bits are large enough to pose a danger to space station, but not large enough for tracking. It is unclear how many pieces of rubbish were created.
"What we are tracking now is large enough to track – we're talking about 10 cm (four inches) or more – it was traced closely 60, – he said.
He said that 24 of these parts go over the ISS, although the satellite moved in orbit 185 miles above the ground, below the station that rotated about 250 miles above the ground.
"This It's a scary, terrible thing to create an event that sends garbage to the climax that goes over the International Space Station, "- added Bridenstein.
" This type of activity is not compatible with Ma the flight of human space in space. "
Read more: The Indian test to combat satellites may have created 6500 pieces of space larger than a pencil ruby, according to a new simulation
He said that The risk of collision of the ISS with garbage for 10 days increased by 44% as a result of an Indian missile.
"This is inadmissible. , and NASA should be very clear about its impact on us, "he said.
Currently, six crew members live on board the ISS.
A software company called Analytical Graphics Inc. (AGI) has done a simulation of the garbage generated by the antisatellite test that he posted on YouTube.
"We simulated 6500 fragments, mostly those that were larger than half a centimeter," said Tom Johnson, vice president of engineering at Analytical Graphics Inc.
India reduced the risk of garbage after launching missiles, and its leading scientists said last week that it expects the garbage to burn out in less than 45 days.
Read more: India says that space debris from its anti-satellite testing "will disappear as soon as possible"
G. Satheesh Reddy, head of the Indian Defense Research and Development Organization, said that a low-altitude military satellite was chosen to reduce the risk of garbage.
"So we did it at a lower altitude, it would disappear as soon as possible," he told Reuters. "Garbage is moving right now. How trash we try to work, but our calculations should die within 45 days."
US Secretary of Defense Patrick Shanakhan, who was charged with action, warned one day after checking India that the event could create a "mess" in outer space.