Michigan health services suspect a resident has suffered a rare, life-threatening disease, equine encephalitis (EEE) after a mosquito bite, they said Tuesday.
This is the first use of EEE in the state this year, and the sixth in the United States.
Last year in the United States there was an unusual jump in the number of people bitten by infected mosquitoes. In early October 2019, at least 30 people were infected with the disease, which kills about 30 percent of people who catch it.
Finding a possible case in Barry County, Michigan, officials urge residents to stay inside – especially after dark, when mosquitoes are more active ̵1; and spray the pot with pesticides in hopes of killing some insects before they have a chance to kill people.
Michigan health services have reported a suspicion of a deadly mosquito disease in eastern equine encephalitis (EEE) in a resident this week. If confirmed, it will be the state’s first case of infection, killing 33% of human casualties this year, and the nation’s sixth (file)
“ This suspected EEE case by a Michigan resident indicates that he is a constant threat to the health and safety of Michigan, and calls for further action to prevent radiation, including air treatment, ” said the head of the Department of Health and Human Services. Michigan services in a statement.
On Wednesday, the state began “air treatment” with special planes to clear dust from 10 districts.
In addition to the treatment plan, health officials suggested that the counties of Barry, Claire, Ionia, Isabella, Jackson, Kent, Mecosta, Montcalm, New York and Auckland consider canceling outdoor activities planned after dusk, especially if they apply to children.
At present, the suspected case of EEE has not been confirmed, but officials suspect that confirmation laboratories will return by the end of the week. No more detailed information about them is reported.
EEE most often begins with fever, body aches, and chills that occur suddenly.
Already this year, 22 horses have been infected in Michigan, which is worrying that there may be more cases (people in the photo: mosquitoes swarm horses in Louisiana, another state where sometimes infected EEE insects and animals; file)
It can progress rapidly, causing severe headaches and disorientation, as well as tremors, seizures, and eventually paralysis.
The EEE virus (EEEV) is mainly transmitted by mosquitoes, which can transmit it to birds, reptiles, amphibians and mammals – especially horses.
Already this year, 22 cases of horses and animals have been confirmed in Michigan, for which the virus is deadly about 90 percent of the time when they are sick.
EEEV can travel from a mosquito bite through the blood to the membranes around the spinal cord and brain.
Once the brain becomes infected, the virus can cause dangerous edema that becomes fatal to 33 percent of symptomatic people.
Most years, there are only five to ten cases that occur between spring and early autumn, when warm weather provides favorable conditions for mosquito breeding and, of course, feeding.
Insects and the virus tend to thrive in wetlands, especially in low-lying stagnant waters.
Cases are most common on the East Coast, the Great Lakes region and the Persian Gulf coast.
There have been three cases this year in Massachusetts this year – Florida, Georgia, New York and North Carolina. In 2020, two cases of the disease were also registered in Wisconsin.