In Miami, Marlins will push for a break in their season to focus on the health and safety of their players when a coronavirus outbreak strikes the team, the league said.
Sportsgrid’s Craig Mish initially announced that the Marlins games would be temporarily delayed. Major League Baseball later issued a statement on the matter.
ROB MONFRED DOESN’T THINK MARLIN’S “BREAK” SITUATION FOR THE NIGHT MARB AS POSITIVE EXHIBITIONS OF TESTING 19
The league has announced that the Marlins games will be postponed to Sunday. MLB also said games between the Philadelphia Phillies and the New York Yankees would also be postponed. The Yankees will begin the home series on Wednesday against the Baltimore Orioles
“Health and safety protocols were developed with such a complex circumstance as the one before Marlins. The response outlined in the MLB-MLBPA Joint Operations Manual was provoked immediately by learning of a group of positive cases, including contact tracking. and quarantine and testing of all identified close contacts. Marlins staff who tested positive should remain in isolation and receive care, “the MLB said in a statement.
“In more than 6,400 trials conducted on Friday, July 24, none of the other 29 Clubs had new positive field data. This result is consistent with encouraging overall data since testing began on June 27. Last Thursday, July 23, 99 of 32,640 samples ̵1; 0.3% – were positive.
“The difficult circumstances of one Club reinforce the vital need to treat protocols diligently in every way, both on and off the field. We will continue to strengthen our protocols and make any necessary adjustments. The realities of the virus are still great and we must work on it. We believe that clubs and players will act properly, both for themselves and for others, and the data suggests that protocols can work effectively. “
At least four Marlins players tested positive for coronavirus before Sunday’s game against Philadelphia Phyllis. Marlins and Phyllis still played, but the positive tests at the time were just the tip of the iceberg.
On Monday, several additional players tested positive for coronavirus. The Marlins were forced to postpone the games between the Baltimore Orioles because of this. The Phillies series against the New York Yankees was also stopped.
On Tuesday, The Athletic reported that four more players tested positive, resulting in a total of 17 positive cases.
MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred resolved the situation in the MLB network on Monday.
YANKIS-BRANCH LOADED ON THE SECOND DIRECT DAY
“I don’t put it in the category of nightmares,” he said. “We don’t want any of the players in the world. It’s not positive, but I don’t consider it a nightmare.”
He continued: “We have created protocols so that we can continue to play. That’s why we have extended lists. Therefore, we have expanded pools of additional players. We think we can keep people safe and keep playing. “
The growing number of cases could signal trouble for the Marlins. The problem that Manfred said will have to be solved when it actually happens.
“The team that lost a lot of players that made it completely uncompetitive is a question we have to deal with and what we need to change – whether it’s closing part of the season, the whole season, it depends on the circumstances,” he said.
He continued: “The same goes for the national league. You get to a point in the whole league where it becomes a health threat and we would definitely close it.”
CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM
So far, MLB owners have reportedly not discussed the cancellation of the entire season.
Fox News’ Paulina Deday contributed to this report.