(Reuters) – Johnson and Johnson said on Wednesday that he had received subpoenas from the US Department of Justice and the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) related to the asbestos contamination process in its Baby Powder lineup
stated that it intends "to cooperate fully with these investigations and continue to protect the Company in litigation related to talc".
The disclosure in Johnson & Johnson's annual report on Wednesday is the first time that the company revealed that it received submissions from federal agencies regarding its products talc.
The Ministry of Justice and the SEC did not immediately respond to requests for comments.
Report Reuters on December 14 showed that Johnson & Johnson knew for decades that small quantities of asbestos known as carcinogens were sometimes found in its talcum and powder products, according to tests from the 1970s to the beginning of the 2000s – which it did not disclose to regulators or the public.
The Reuters article prompted the sale of Johnson & Johnson shares, removing about $ 40 billion from the market value of the company in one day, and the public relations crisis as a healthcare conglomerate faces the widespread issue of the possible health effects of one of the most iconic products.
Johnson & Johnson said that federal requests "relate to news reports that included inaccurate statements, and concealed important information," which has already been made public.
] The company added that "decades of independent tests by regulators and leading global laboratories prove that Johnson & Johnson baby powder is safe and asbestos
Johnson and Johnson are faced with a claim for the participation of 13 thousand plaintiffs who claim that the use of their products Talc, including baby powder, caused cancer.
Last month, US Sen. Democrat Patti Murray sent a letter. J & J Executive Director Alex Gorsky is looking for documents and information related to the testing of talc products for carcinogens and "how he presented this information to regulators and consumers."