Meanwhile, late last week, Charrow and his office instructed administration officials to seek advice from the Manchester United Department of Public Integrity, which deals with electoral crimes, before moving forward with a drug rebate plan. This has further halted the plan as the health department is awaiting a review by Manchester United, two officials said.
“Every day that passes becomes one day less,” to outline a plan before the election, one official said.
Carrow did not respond to a request for comment, and a HHS spokesman said the department “does not comment on internal discussions.”; The Ministry of Justice did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
Trump announced the plan in a speech on Sept. 24, promising that “incredible” cards would be sent to seniors in the “coming weeks,” and last week POLITICO said administration officials love the White House. Chief of Staff Mark Meadows and the administrative centers of Medicare and Medicaid Seema Verma rushed to realize the president’s vision. Meadows and Verma had hoped to get approval from legal and budget officials by Oct. 9 to send letters to 39 million seniors this week glorifying the administration’s new initiative, according to five officials who know the plan and draft documents received. POLITICAL. The cards themselves would be made and distributed for the rest of the year, and many seniors received them after the election.
Meadows and Verma cite drug cards as a sanctioned “test” of whether discounted drug cards will ultimately help health care recipients take medication more consistently.
But the proposal came to a halt after the POLITICO report, as officials sought to distance themselves from the plan and seek legal cover, similar to a review by the Justice Ministry, said people who know the current conversations.
“This plan is rapidly becoming radioactive,” said one official.
For example, Verma told allies that she had little warning of Trump’s plan, according to two people who spoke to her. A Verma spokesman did not respond to a request for comment.
Meanwhile, Health and Social Services Minister Alex Hazard and his team also spent weeks privately distancing themselves from the proposal, suggesting that the plan was run by Medicare officials.
Spokesman Azar said the secretary supports a plan that Trump supports. “As the architect of President Trump’s drug pricing project and as a matter of policy, Secretary Azar has always supported the idea of reducing the cost of drugs out of the pocket of the elderly, including the president’s offer to pay a payment card and a plan to provide discounts directly to the elderly.” , – said the dictionary. The spokesman referred questions about the timing of the plan to Medicare representatives.
The White House referred the plan to the Department of Health.
This week, congressional Democrats asked the Guard Service, the Government Accountability Service, to begin an immediate review of the drug rebate plan.
Ever since Trump announced the cards last month, which came as a surprise to many of his own health care officials, government officials as well as politicians have consistently warned that the plan could violate federal rules on how taxpayers spend money or how to develop a Medicare test.
To help the plan qualify as a Medicare test, Charrow urged officials to consider whether to accidentally distribute a plan to ensure that older people receive information at different times and make it easier to compare their responses, the two officials said, aware of Charrow’s concerns. . Law and health experts have warned that the proposal is not a real test because it lacks random elements.
Trump, however, seeks to provide the cards to most seniors covered by the Medicare plan, making it difficult to compare the consequences of getting a card and not getting one.
The Verma team, meanwhile, has been closely guarding a draft letter to seniors announcing the distribution of the cards, despite requests from other officials to review their contents and make sure it does not pose additional risks, such as improperly celebrating Trump’s role, two officials said.
But these private concerns have met with the president’s public promises as Trump continues to promote the initiative in an attempt to raise his approval rating among the elderly.
“[M]The ore, which exceeds 35 million Medicare beneficiaries, will soon receive a $ 200 card in the mail that will allow you to pay for prescription drugs, “Trump swore again at the” Protecting the Elderly of America “event on Friday afternoon. Florida.
Both Azar and Verma joined Trump to speak.