At least two people in Hawaii, one visitor and a resident, have recently contracted a "rat worm," health officials said Wednesday. illness during a holidays in northern hawaii last year. He or she first got sick in December 2018, but "was not diagnosed until they were hospitalized for their symptoms when they returned to the mainland," health officials said in a press release. SIR CITYPOD: REPORT
The visitor who has since recovered became the nine confirmed confirmed bird worm in Hawaii in 2018, said the State Department of Public Health
. scientifically known as angiostrongylus cantonensis – an adult in the East of the Hawaiian Islands. This person, whom I also did not identify with the Public Health Department, first fell ill in January before she was hospitalized in early February.
The case of a resident is now the first confirmed case of Hawaii in 201
A person needs a deep immersion in the history of human food consumption, as well as where they can live, work, travel and play, "said Health Director, Bruce Anderson
. in rodents Then infected rodents pass larvae of the parasite through their faeces, later infecting snails and snails, among other creatures, when they swallow the larvae. People who eat raw or inadequately fried snails or snail-containing parasites can be infected, reports the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The Hawaiian State Department of Public Health said that most people in the state of illness "accidentally swallow a snail or slug infested with a parasite." cases, with the most common of them being severe headaches and stiff neck. The most serious cases suffer from neurological problems, severe pain and long-term disability, "he added.
News came after state health officials recently confirmed the case in 2018. This case served as the sixth confirmed case of bird worms on Hawaiian rats last year.
Alexandra Hayne (Fox News) contributed to this report