The CEO of Dick & # 39; s Sporting Goods stated that the company had destroyed more than $ 5 million in assault-style rifles following its decision to suspend arms sales amid pressure on retailers from gun control groups.
Ed Stack told CBS News during an interview Sunday that millions of dollars in inventory turned into scrap.
"I said, 'You know what? If we really think these things should be off the street, we need to destroy them.
It was not clear how much it cost to destroy a giant of sports goods.
STORE SHOP SPORTS GOODS WITH SIGNED ADVERTISEMENTS AR-15 & # 39; S
Stack Announced Corapolis, Pennsylvania-based Network of Online Artists the 201
"We found out we sold this kid a shotgun," said Stack. "Then I said, 'We're done.'"
He also updated his gun sales policy to require a minimum age of 21 to buy a weapon. Stack said the steps resulted in a loss of $ 250 million in sales. The financial losses were unaffected.
Earlier this year, Dick stopped selling guns and hunting rifles in 125 locations after testing in 10 stores and showed positive results.
CLICK HERE for ALL-NEW FOXBUSINESS.COM
Others inherited this lawsuit. scrap month Walmart announced that he would stop selling Alaska pistols and short-barreled rifles and pistols worldwide.
More than 120,000 people signed a petition for a Walmart employee to protest the sale of firearms as 22 people were killed in Ely Paso Texas in August.