Democratic presidential candidate Cory Booker told reporters Sunday that he would sue the alleged attack on "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett after calling the incident "an attempted modern day lynching" when it was first reported last month.
"I'm gonna suhold until all of the information really comes out of the on-the-record sources," the senator from New Jersey said after meeting with voters in Rochester, NH "We know in America that bigoted and biased attacks are on the rise in a serious way, and we actually even know in this country that since 11/11, most of the terrorist attacks on our soil have been right-wing terrorist attacks ̵
Booker cited the deadly shooting at the Pittsburgh Synagogue this past October as well as the June 2015 shooting at the historically black church in Charleston, SC
" What we're seeing "They are different, and we all need to join together and condemn those attacks and the nasty and the fanotry that they source them," said Booker.
Smollett, who is black and openly gay, has claimed that he was attacked by two masked men early on Jan. He walked to his Chicago apartment from a subway restaurant at 29. Smollett allegedly he was assaulted by two masked men who shouted racial and anti-gay slurs at him.
'NEW EVIDENCE' PROMOTION RELEASE OF TWO MEN QUESTIONED IN JUSSIE SMOLLETT CASE, CHICAGO PD SAYS
Booker tweeted: "The vicious attack on actor Jussie Smollett was an attempted modern day lynching. I'm glad he's safe."
Last week, Chicago police questioned two Nigerian brothers in the reported attack, but released them Friday without charges. Police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said the couple had given officers information that had "shifted the trajectory of the investigation" and confirmed that police had reached out to Smollett's lawyer to request a follow-up interview.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Guglielmi also said local reports that the attack was a hoax were unconfirmed.
"While we are not in a position to confirm, deny or comment on the validity of what has been unofficially released," Guglielmi tweeted Sunday, "there are some developments in this investigation and detectives have some follow-ups to complete which include talking to the person who reported the incident."