NEWS: One killed and 15 injured in an explosion in North Carolina after a contractor dug a gas pipeline under the sidewalk and exploded the building
- An explosion occurred in the heart of Durham, North Carolina, on Wednesday morning
- drilled into the pavement and got into a two-inch gas pipeline
- It is not clear why he was there; he could investigate the leakage message or he was bored to establish a fiber-optic line
- He blew up a building that contained a cafe and psychiatric room and damaged others
- Residents said they heard a loud sound boom & # 39; and felt that the earth was shaking during the explosion
- The area was sealed and the firefighters try to quench the fire and 1
- Some are resuscitated and the mayor said that the number of victims could increase
One person was killed and 15 were injured after a gas explosion in North Carolina, which was caused by a contractor who got on the gas pipeline in pavement.
The explosion occurred at the heart of the city of Durham on Wednesday at 10.07 and partly destroyed the complex where the building technologies were located, the coffee and the psychiatrist's office were located.
It happened about 50 minutes after gas leakage was reported and the firefighters were in the process of evacuating buildings near him when it happened.
Unconfirmed if the contractor is a person who died or why he was there.
There were controversial reports that he was bored to install a fiber-optic line or that he was investigating the leak.
Scroll down for a video
Ariel's depictions show the collapse of a building in Durham, North Carolina, after the explosion of gas on Wednesday. One person died and 15 were injured
The whole center of therapy, which offers group and individual classes, was destroyed and still burned
A man stands in a shock location when firefighters work through rubbish
In the minutes after the explosion, the firefighters took out survivors from the rubble during the fight against the fire
P & # 39; s nineteen were delivered to the hospital, including six people who are in critical condition. The firefighter was seriously wounded during an explosion that caused the earth to shake, and windows on neighboring buildings destroyed.
"The gas leak was caused by a contractor who was drilled under the sidewalk.
"He hit a two-inch gas pipeline that caused an explosion and a partial collapse of the building," said Wilhelm Glenn, a spokesman for the Durham Police Department.
The house is partially used by the clinical partners of Main Street and Dr. Hollister Trott, a psychiatrist, and a cafe cafe.
It is unclear how many people were inside.
Prescient, the technology of building a company that leases a building, said that none of her employees was hurt, but that the building was "complete loss."
Residents described the hearing of the "boom" and the feeling of earthquake in the blast.
I've never seen anything like this before. I was sitting near the traffic light … and I felt a heavy, heavy gas.
& # 39; There were people in the building. I saw the business owner, but the sign that "The business is closed day by day due to gas leakage."
"As soon as I passed the traffic light, the whole building exploded," said Robin Jarvey. 19659038] Firefighters work at the site of an explosion on Wednesday after the explosion ” class=”blkBorder img-share” />
Firefighters operate at the site of the explosion on Wednesday after the explosion