A student at the Kuest College, residing in San Luis Obispo, died of what is considered to be a bacterial meningitis, said on Thursday at the Health Department of San Luis Obispo County
. 19659002] Meanwhile, public health officials say they work with local hospitals, colleges, and people who have had close contact with a student to determine if there is someone else who can be infected. These people are reported to receive prophylactic antibiotics.
Bacterial meningitis is an infection of the mucous membrane of the brain and spinal cord. It can be distributed through kisses, sharing dishes or glasses, or another long, very close contact. It is not easily transmitted through accidental contact or through air
Symptoms of bacterial meningitis usually include sudden fever, headache and neck stiffness. It can begin with symptoms similar to the flu, and may also include nausea, vomiting, rash, confusion, and increased sensitivity to light.
Anyone with symptoms of bacterial meningitis should immediately seek medical attention. It can be treated with antibiotics
There are also two types of vaccines available for protection against the disease